About TDI-Brooks International
Scientific Services on a Global Basis
TDI-Brooks is a scientific data acquisition services company specializing in multi-disciplinary oceanographic projects; marine geochemical exploration for oil and gas; geotechnical and offshore survey projects, and high-end environmental chemistry for industry as well for as federal and state agencies. TDI-Brooks was formed in mid-1996 when our senior staff left management positions at a research center of Texas A&M University.
We started by developing our capabilities in the marine seabed geochemical exploration market, a market that we originated in the early 1980s while at the university. Most of our current industry revenue is geochemical, geotechnical, and environmental in nature, and comes from projects in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, and offshore Africa, South America Canada, Southeast Asia and the Mediterranean Sea. TDI-Brooks has federal projects from NOAA, US Fish & Wildlife Service, USEPA, USGS and BOEM. This is the premier coastal environmental monitoring program in the USA.
TDI-Brooks is also one of the US Fish and Wildlife Service’s three contract laboratories for trace organic residue analyses primarily in tissue samples. TDI-Brooks has also conducted projects for BOEM to study chemosynthetic communities at the seabed and to study deep-water corals at rigs, wrecks and reefs in the deep-water Gulf of Mexico.
We’re Experts in our Field
TDI-Brooks has a staff of nearly one-hundred individuals including fourteen Ph.D. level oceanographers, geochemists, biologists and geologists. Some of our senior staff continue to have academic appointments. About a third of the staff is part of our affiliated laboratory, B&B Labs.
The other staff are involved in our offshore research and survey operations. TDI-Brooks owns and operates three multiuse research vessels — R/V GeoExplorer, R/V Proteus and R/V Gyre. We have a fourth vessel, R/V Brooks McCall, on long-term bare-boat charter in the Gulf of Mexico. Our vessels are primarily engaged in geotechnical and geochemical coring and data acquisition, hazard surveys, environmental surveys, physical oceanography, heat flow, and high resolution site surveys for private and federal clients. All are specifically optimized for deepwater operations with high speed winches, A-frames, multiple heavy coring rigs, subbottom profilers, precise navigation and USBL systems, and other kits for our surveys. Gyre and GeoExplorer are also outfitted for analog and HR site surveys along with multibeam acquisition.
Our mission is to safely deliver high-quality oceanographic services, including acquisition, sampling, analysis and scientific interpretation, to the marine environmental, geochemical, geotechnical and survey marketplace.
- We believe in pursuing true, systematic, effective safety, not pretend-safety.
- We believe in technical and business integrity.
- We believe in persevering until we deliver.
- We believe in delivering more value than our customer specifies.
- We believe in being relentless in our drive to improve.
- We believe in giving first and receiving later.
- We believe in treating our customers and suppliers as friends.
- We believe in treating our employees and business partners as family.
- We believe in honoring the commitments we make.
- We believe in showing good faith.
- We believe in having fun.
- We believe that our reputation is more valuable than our net worth.
TDI-Brooks has created a Comprehensive Training Program with the goal of training, supporting, engaging and evaluating our employees in a continual improvement process.
At TDI-Brooks, we realize that the strength of our safety system is heavily dependent on our front line employees. That is why we have worked hard to establish a two way dialogue between upper management and the employees on deck. To improve communications and reinforce the importance of safety practices, the vessels are visited regularly by members of upper management, and most of our office employees are expected to work offshore each year. TDI-Brooks has developed Core Safety Training for all employees who work on our vessels, both vessel crew and technical party. This main training provides an introduction to our Safety Management System and safety processes. Our Safety Management System extends well beyond our written manual into all aspects of our operations, including our shore side and land based operations.
Our Behavior Based Safety system is integral to our key safety policies and procedures, such as permit to work procedures, mentors for short service employees, toolbox talks, job safety analysis, safety observation cards and weekly HSE special topic training. Each aspect emphasizes each employee’s right and obligation to participate in planning the work, complete the job safely, report any potential issues and STOP WORK if it is unsafe, regardless of their position or seniority.
Employees are encouraged to participate in their own safety through monthly Risk Reviews, the HSE comments section in the weekly reports, Master’s Reviews, safety observation cards and contributions to the monthly safety newsletter.
A summary of our HSE statistics are available for download here.
Clients & Partnerships
- Geoscience Australia (Australia)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Oil and Natural Gas Commission (India)
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- U.S. Military Sealift Command (MSC)
- U.S. Mineral Management Service (MMS)
- U.S. National Institute of Health
- California Fish & Game
- Delaware River Basin Authority
- Orange County, California
- Rutgers University
- Texas A&M Research Foundation
- Texas A&M University
- University of Mississippi
- University of Utah, EGI
Private Clients - Oil Companies
- Agip Angola Ltd.
- Agip Petroleum
- Amerada Hess Corporation
- Amoco Exploration and Production
- Amoco Production Company
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
- Arco International Oil and Gas Company
- BG E&P Nigeria Ltd.
- BG Trinidad and Tobago Ltd.
- BHP Petroleum
- Black Gold Energy
- Bluewater Industries Inc.
- BP Exploration & Production Inc.
- Chevron (Cabinda Gulf Oil Company Ltd.)
- Chevron Nigeria Limited
- Chevron Oversees Petroleum Inc.
- Chevron USA Inc.
- CMS Energy Oil and Gas
- Conoco Inc.
- ConocoPhillips Inc.
- Devon Energy Corp.
- EDC International
- Elf Aquitaine Production
- Elf Exploration Angola
- Elf Exploration Inc.
- Elf Petroleum Nigeria Ltd.
- Encana Corporation
- Encana Gulf of Mexico LLC
- Energy Africa Ltd.
- ENI India Ltd.
- Ensearch Construction
- Ensearch Exploration Inc.
- EOG Resources Int’l Inc.Esso Exploration Company
- Esso E&P Angola Ltd.
- Exxon Company USA
- Exxon Exploration Company
- Exxon Production Company
- ExxonMobil Exploration Inc.
- Fina Exploration and Production
- Forest Exploration International Ltd.
- Hess Corporation
- Hunt Oil Company
- I.E.O.C Exploration B.V.
- Kerr McGee Oil and Gas Corporation
- Marathon Oil Company
- Mobil Exploration Angola Inc.
- Mobil Exploration & Production US Inc.
- Mobil Producing Nigeria
- Murphy Oil Company Ltd.
- Murphy West Africa Ltd.
- Nat’l Petroleum Corp. of Namibia (NAMCOR)
- Nexen Petroleum Ltd.
- Newfield Petroleum
- Nigerian Agip Petroleum Co. Limited (NAOC)
- Noble Energy Company
- Norsk Hydro a.s.
- Norsk Hydro Angola
- Occidental Oil & Gas Corporation
- Ocean Energy
- Occidental Oil and Gas Corporation
- Oxy USA Inc.
- Petrobras Americas Inc.
- Petrobras Brasileiro Nigeria Ltd.
- Perobras Int’l Braspetro B.V. Pibbv Angola
- Petronas Carigali Mozambique E&P Ltd.
- Petronas Research & Scientific Services Sdn. Bhd.
- Phillips Petroleum Company
- Pioneer Natural Resources USA Inc.
- Reliance Industries Ltd., Exploration & Production
- Ranger Oil Company
- Respol Exploration and Production
- Saga Petroleum ASA
- SCS Corporation
- SeaGull Energy E&P Inc.
- Shell Exploration & Production Angola B.V.
- Shell International Exploration & Production B.V.
- Shell Nigeria Exploration & Production Company Ltd.
- Shell Offshore Inc.
- Shell Exploration & Production Inc.
- Shell Exploration & Production B.V.
- SONANGOL (Sociedade Nacional de Combustiveis de Angola)
- Sonangol Pesquisa & Producao
- Spirit Energy 76
- Statoil ASA
- Statoil Exploration (US) Inc.
- Talisman Petroleum Ltd.
- Texaco Exploration Africa Inc.
- Texaco Inc.
- Texaco USA
- Total S.A.
- Total Exploration & Production
- Total Exploration & Production Angola
- Total Minatome Corporation
- Unocal Corporation
- Vanco Energy Company
- Vastar Resources Inc
- Williams Field Services – Gulf Coast Company
- Woodside Energy Ltd.
- Woodside Mauritania Pty. Ltd.
Private Clients - Other
- Acergy Group
- Akabb Investiments Ltd.
- AOA Geophysics Inc.
- Albion Environmental Inc.
- Applied Marine Sciences
- Arcadis, Geraghty & Miller
- Boskalis Int’l B.V.
- Brone Positioning and Survey Ltd.
- Century Subsea Inc.
- Chemical Land Holdings Inc.
- Continental Shelf Associates
- Creocean Montpellier Agency
- Ecosystems Management & Associates
- Entrix Inc.
- Evans-Hamilton Inc.
- Environ Int’l Group
- Environmental Data Services
- Fugro Geoservuces Inc.
- Fugro Nigeria Ltd.
- Galaxia Martimal Ltda.
- Geochemical Solutions, Inc.
- Geomark Research Inc.
- Geoscience Earth & Marine Sciences (GEMS)
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Inc.
- Hagler-Bailly Consulting Inc.
- ICF Consulting Inc.
- Keller-Bliesner Engineering
- Kellogg Brown and Root Inc.
- Kinnetics Inc.
- MAR Inc.
- Marsco Inc.
- On-Site Analytical
- Racal Survey
- Romic Environmental Technologies Corp.
- Science Applications International Corporation
- SMIT Americans Inc.
- Steimle & Associates
- Stolt Offshore West Africa Ltd.
- Tolunay-Wong Engineers Inc.
- Tesla Offshore Inc.
- TGS-Nopec Geophysical Party Ltd.
- UTEC Surveys Inc.
- Vermilion Energy Trust
- Western Geco Seismic Sdn. Bhd.
- Woodward Clyde International – Americas
Geochemical Solutions International
Geoscience Earth & Marine Services, Inc.
TDI-Brooks has a staff of nearly one-hundred individuals including fourteen Ph.D. level oceanographers, geochemists, biologists and geologists. Some of our senior staff continue to have academic appointments. About a third of the staff is part of our affiliated laboratory, B&B Labs. The other staff are involved in our offshore research and survey operations.
- Dr. James Brooks, President, CEO
- Dr. Bernie B. Bernard, Vice President, Chief Technology Officer
- Mr. Peter Tatro, Director of Operations
- Mr. Chris King, Secretary/Director of Information Technology
- Mrs. Gail Mills, Controller
- Mrs. Gina Harp, Assistant Controller
- Dr. James Howell, HSE Manager
- Ms. Shannon Smith, Vessel Systems Manager/Assistant HSE Manager
- Dr. Thomas J. McDonald, Senior Project Manager
- Mr. Brad Bernard, College Station Office Manager
- Dr. Gary Wolff, Data Manager
- Ms. Melissa Wood, Marketing and Business Development Manager
- Ms. Debbie Paul, Administrative Assistant
- Ms. Emily Evans, Administrative Assistant
*Field Staff Also
- Mr. Juan Ramirez, Geochemical & Environmental Lab Manager, Project Manager
- Mr. Nick Clark, Geotechnical Lab Manager
- Ms. Donell Frank, Quality Assurance Manager
- Dr. Hillary Agbo, Environmental Laboratory Analyst I*
- Dr. Les Bender, MetOcean Project Manager*
- Mr. Chase Brewster, Laboratory Technician*
- Mrs. Amanda Brewster, Sample Custodian
- Mr. Mark Garner, Instrumentation Engineer
- Mr. Douglas Johnson, Radiation Safety Officer
- Mr. Kurt Kibler, Laboratory Technician
- Mrs. Cienna Kirkland, Environmental Laboratory Technician
- Ms. Yiwei Miao, Analytical Chemist
- Dr. Patricia Silva, Analytical Chemist*
- Mr. Daniel Brooks, Geologist, CPT Specialist, Project Manager
- Mr. James R. Brooks, Vessel Deck Chief
- Mrs. Megan Brooks, Field Logistics Coordinator
- Mr. Brion Dolan, Field Party Chief
- Mr. Charlie Emerson, Vessel Chief Engineer
- Mr. Peter Hitchcock, Field Party Chief
- Mr. Andrew Howard, Field Party Chief
- Mr. Michael Kullman, GIS/Geophysical Survey Manager
- Dr. Daniel Adkison, Field Operations Manager
- Dr. Roger Fay, Compliance Manager
- Mrs. Diana Solis Burton, MMO, Lab Technician
- Mr. Chris Opel, Vessel Captain
- Mr. Mark Mitcheltree, Vessel Captain
- Mr. William Vuilleumier, Vessel Captain
- Mr. Joe Perez Jr., Vessel Chief Mate
- Mr. Brian Hillberry, Vessel Mate
- Ms. Sarah Bowman, Vessel Mate
- Mr. Ron Yoakum, Facilities Manager
- Drew Gorney, Facilities
We have a number of our scientific publications available on our publications page. These articles are an excellent source of information about geotechnical, SGE, and heat flow studies, as well as a other related topics.
We have available